Each of the major nationwide consumer reporting companies are required by the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act to provide you with a free copy of your credit report, at your request, once every 12 months. Consider spreading these three reports out over the year so that you can review an up-to-date, free credit report once every few months. To obtain a free copy of your report:

  • Visit,
  • Call toll-free 877-322-8228, or
  • Complete the Annual Credit Report Request Form at and mail it to: Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA 30348-5281.

You are also entitled to a free report if a company takes adverse action against you, such as denying your application for credit, insurance, or employment, and you request your report within 60 days of receiving notice of the action. You are also entitled to one free report a year if you are unemployed and plan to look for a job within 60 days, you are on welfare, or your report is inaccurate because of fraud. Otherwise, a consumer reporting company may charge you around $10.00 for any other copies of your report.

To buy a copy of your report, or to request a fraud alert or security freeze, contact one of the three credit bureaus:


P.O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374

P.O. Box 9532
Allen, TX 75013
888-EXPERIAN (397-3742)

P.O. Box 6790
Fullerton, CA 92834

Fraud Alert: You can add a fraud alert message to your credit report to help protect your credit information. Fraud alert messages notify potential creditors to verify your identification before extending credit in your name in case someone is using your information without your consent.

Security Freeze: You can initiate a security freeze on your credit report to prevent a credit reporting company from releasing your credit report without your consent. Be aware that a security freeze limiting access to the personal and financial information in your file may delay, interfere with, or prohibit the timely approval of any subsequent request or application you make regarding a new loan, credit, mortgage, insurance, government services or payments, rental housing, employment, investment, license, cellular telephone, utilities, digital signature, Internet credit card transaction, or other services. Additionally, credit reporting agencies may charge you both for initiating the security freeze and for removing the security freeze. The fee is waived if a police report has been filed.

File a Complaint

The Attorney General’s Office has set up a hotline to help you recognize and report identity theft. Complaint investigators will also help advise victims of identity theft. Call the AGO consumer hotline at 800-392-8222.

Other Resources