Sample language for a Resolution
This is a requirement of the revised Sunshine Law and may be adopted by public governmental bodies as required by Section 610.028, RSMo.
WHEREAS, Section 610.023.1, RSMo, provides that a public governmental body is to appoint a custodian to maintain that body's records and the identity and location of the custodian is to be made available upon request; and
WHEREAS, Section 610.026, RSMo, sets forth that a public governmental body shall provide access to and, upon request, furnish copies of public records; and
WHEREAS, Section 610.028.2, RSMo, provides that a public governmental body shall provide a reasonable written policy in compliance with sections 610.010 to 610.030, RSMo, commonly referred to as the Sunshine Law, regarding the release of information on any meeting, record or vote.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED:
1. That (insert name of custodian) be and hereby is appointed custodian of the records of (insert name of public governmental body) and that such custodian is located at (insert specific location, including room, street, address, city and state).
2. That said custodian shall respond to all requests for access to or copies of a public record within the time period provided by statute except in those circumstances authorized by statute.
3. That the fees to be charged for access to or furnishing copies of records shall be as hereinafter provided: (Insert fee schedule. Note: Fees may not exceed 10 cents per page for paper copies 9 by 14 or smaller, plus an hourly fee for duplicating time not to exceed the average hourly rate of pay for clerical staff of the public governmental body. Research time may be billed at actual cost.)
4. That it is the public policy of (insert name of public governmental body) that meetings, records, votes, actions and deliberations of this body shall be open to the public unless otherwise provided by law.
5. That (insert name of governmental body) shall comply with sections 610.010 to 610.030, RSMo, the Sunshine Law, as now existing or hereafter amended.