April 1, 2011
Jefferson City, Mo. – Attorney General Chris Koster today sued a Florida telemarketing company for making solicitation calls to Missourians who had previously placed their names on the state's no-call list. He said the suit came as a result of numerous complaints filed with the No-Call Division of the Attorney General’s Office.
Koster filed suit against Newspaper Sales, Inc., based in St. Augustine, Florida. The lawsuit alleges violations of the Missouri Merchandising Practices Act and the Telemarketing No-Call List Act. Koster said telephone solicitation calls were made to consumers soliciting newspaper subscriptions on behalf of newspapers in the Kansas City metropolitan area.
“When Missourians register with our No-Call list, they do so with the reasonable expectation that they will not receive these unsolicited, harassing calls,” Koster said. "These businesses are aware of our No-Call laws, and they are realizing that this office will enforce those laws.”
Koster said he is asking the court to stop the defendant from making calls to Missourians on the no-call list who have no established business relationship with the company. In addition, he is seeking a civil penalty of $5,000 for each violation of Missouri law, costs of the investigation and prosecution, and all court costs.
Koster reminds Missourians they can sign up for Do-Not-Call and can file a complaint about receiving harassing solicitation calls on his website at www.ago.mo.gov or by calling 1-866-BUZZOFF (1-866-289-9633).