Attorney General's News Release
June 8, 2007
Nixon files motions with the Missouri Supreme Court, seeks execution dates for ten offenders
Jefferson City, Mo. — Attorney General Jay Nixon today filed motions with the Missouri Supreme Court requesting execution dates be set for ten capital punishment inmates. Earlier this week, the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals vacated a federal district court’s stay of all Missouri executions using lethal injection and ruled that the state’s lethal injection procedure is constitutional under the Eighth Amendment.
Today’s action involves the renewal of previous motions to set execution dates for five inmates, and new motions to set execution dates for five additional inmates.
Renewed motions were filed for the following inmates:
- Michael Taylor and Roderick Nunley, both convicted for the 1989 rape and murder of 15-year old Ann Harrison in Kansas City.
- Richard Clay, convicted for the 1994 murder-for-hire of Randy Martindale in New Madrid County.
- Reginald Clemons, convicted with two co-defendants for the 1991 rape and murder of Julie and Robin Kerry in St. Louis.
- Jeffrey Ferguson, convicted for the 1989 murder of 17-year old Kelli Hall in St. Louis County.
In addition, motions were filed for the following inmates:
- Andrew Lyons, convicted for the 1992 killings of Evelyn Sparks, Bridgette Harris and 11-month old Dontay Harris in Cape Girardeau.
- William Rousan, convicted with two co-defendants for the 1993 murders of Charles and Grace Lewis in St. Francois County.
- Russell Bucklew, convicted for the 1996 murder of Michael Sanders in Cape Girardeau.
- John Winfield, convicted for the 1996 murders of Arthea Sanders and Shawnee Murphy in St. Louis County.
- John Middleton, convicted for the 1995 murders of Randy Hamilton and Stacey Hodge in Mercer County.
Inquiries from consumers should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-392-8222 (from within Missouri) or 573-751-3321 (outside Missouri).
All media inquiries should be directed to the Press Secretary.
E-mail Phone: 573-751-8844 Fax: 573-751-5818