Skip to page content Skip to site navigation
AG Chris Koster | FAQs
Missouri Attorney General

FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions - General Topics

Table of Contents

Legal Advice & Questions about the Law

Can the Attorney General's Office give legal advice?

No. The AG's Office can provide general information, direct you to pertinent agencies or provide copies of statutes. However, the Attorney General is the attorney for the state and its agencies and cannot offer legal advice or act on behalf of individuals. You may want to contact a private lawyer.

The Missouri Bar Lawyer Referral Service can help you find a lawyer for a nominal fee by calling the nearest location:

Jefferson City: 573-636-3635 
Kansas City: 816-221-9472
St. Louis: 314-621-6681
Springfield: 417-831-2783

[ back to top ]

I cannot afford a lawyer. Are there any free services?

If you cannot afford a lawyer, the Missouri Legal Aid office offers free assistance in certain circumstances. Legal Aid helps qualifying low-income Missourians needing legal assistance. While Legal Aid handles a variety of issues, there are some cases it does not address, including child support, adoption, workers compensation, wills, personal injury, and criminal cases that would be assigned to a public defender.

Legal Aid offices in Missouri

Legal Services of Southern Missouri
116 N. Main St.
Charleston, MO 63834
Mid-Missouri Legal Services
205 E. Forest Ave.
Columbia, MO 65203
800-568-4931 (9-11 a.m.)
Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Inc.
The Federal Building
801 Broadway
Hannibal, MO 63401
Legal Aid of Western Missouri - Joplin Office
302 S. Joplin
Joplin, MO 64801
Legal Aid of Western Missouri - Central KC Office
1125 Grand Ave., Suite 1900
Kansas City, MO 64106
Legal Aid of Western Missouri - West KC Office
920 Southwest Blvd.
Kansas City, MO 64108
Legal Services of Southern Missouri
1412 Highway 72 East
P.O. Box 135
Rolla, MO 65402
Legal Services of Southern Missouri
2872 S. Meadowbrook
Springfield, MO 65807
Legal Services of Eastern Missouri
4232 Forest Park Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63108
Legal Aid of Western Missouri - St. Joseph Office
106 S. Seventh St., Fourth floor
St. Joseph, MO 64502
Legal Aid of Western Missouri - Warrensburg Office
120 Hout
Warrensburg, MO 64093

[ back to top ]

I have a question about a federal government program. Who can I call?

The Federal Citizen Information Center answers any question about a federal agency, program or service. It also can tell you which office to contact for help with problems. Call the toll-free number 800-688-9889 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The TDD/TTY number is 800-326-2996.

[ back to top ]

What are the provisions of the Missouri Sunshine Law?

The Sunshine Law, the state's open meetings and records law, is governed by Chapter 610, Missouri Revised Statutes. The portion of this Web site devoted to Missouri's Sunshine Law includes a summary, top 10 things you should know, an FAQs page, appellate decisions and Attorney General opinions regarding the law. For a printed copy of the book, e-mail us with your request, name and postal address.

[ back to top ]

Where can I find the official Attorney General's opinions?

Opinions issued since 1968 are available online. For other opinions issued by the AG's Office, e-mail us with the opinion number, your name and postal address.

[ back to top ]

What are Missouri's laws regarding concealed weapons?

Chapter 571, Missouri Revised Statutes, governs weapons offenses. Concealed weapons also are addressed in the Missouri Constitution.

[ back to top ]

The Authority of the Attorney General

Who supervises my county prosecutor or sheriff?

Prosecuting attorneys and sheriffs are elected by county voters. They are not employees of the AG's Office and are not supervised by this office. A local prosecutor determines whether charges should be filed in a case. If you disagree with a decision made by a county prosecuting attorney or sheriff, you may want to consult with you own private lawyer to determine what remedies, if any, are available.

If you need to find a private lawyer, call the Missouri Bar Lawyer Referral Services:

Jefferson City: 573-636-3635
Kansas City: 816-221-9472
St. Louis: 314-621-6681
Springfield: 417-831-2783

[ back to top ]

Who takes complaints about private lawyers?

Complaints against lawyers may be filed with the Office of Chief Disciplinary Counsel.

Office of Chief Disciplinary Counsel
3335 American Avenue
Jefferson City, MO 65109

[ back to top ]

Who takes complaints about judges?

Complaints regarding judges may be sent to the Commission on Retirement, Removal and Discipline of Judges.

Commission on Retirement, Removal and Discipline of Judges
2190 S. Mason Road
Suite 201
St. Louis, MO 63131

The Attorney General's Office does not supervise judges.

[ back to top ]

How can I get my ex-spouse to pay child support due me?

The Missouri Department of Social Services is the primary support-enforcement agency for the state. You may want to get more information or convey your concerns to the central office of the Department of Social Services, Child Support Enforcement.

Department of Social Services
Child Support Enforcement
PO Box 1527
Jefferson City, MO 65102

[ back to top ]

Consumers & Businesses

I think a business has defrauded me. What should I do?

Contact the Attorney General's toll-free Consumer Protection Hotline at 1-800-392-8222 or file a complaint with the Attorney General's Offcie.

[ back to top ]

What can I do if I dispute a company's services, merchandise or bill?

There are several steps you can take before resorting to hiring a lawyer:

  1. Register a complaint with the offending party and try to settle the dispute.
  2. Contact the Better Business Bureau or Attorney General's Consumer Protection Hotline at 1-800-392-8222 or file a complaint with the Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division.
  3. Contact your credit card company.
  4. Go to small claims court if the disputed amount is less than $3,000.
  5. Seek legal action in other courts. At this point, you probably will want to hire a lawyer. If you don't have a lawyer, you may contact the Missouri Bar Lawyer Referral Service.

[ back to top ]

How do I join the No Call Team?

You can sign up online or call toll-free 1-866-662-2551.

[ back to top ]

Do I need to be on the Missouri No Call list if I've signed up for the federal Do Not Call program?

For the best protection, sign up for the Missouri No Call program. It is a proven success. The Attorney General's Office has obtained the phone numbers of Missourians on the new federal Do Not Call list and added them to Missouri's No Call list. Attorney General Koster will prosecute telemarketers who violate either the federal or state No Call law.

[ back to top ]

Where can I find information on registering a business in Missouri?

For information on registering or starting a business, contact the Secretary of State's Office and the Department of Economic Development.

[ back to top ]

What if I can't find something on your Web site?

Visit one of our more specific frequently asked questions pages. Those FAQs pages are specific to the portion of the Attorney General's website that interests you.

You may also search for the material you are looking for using a keyword search.

[ back to top ]

State homepage   |    Missouri statutes   |    Forms   |    Site Map   |    Accessibility   |    Privacy Policy   |    Contact Us  Follow AGO on Twitter!  RSS Feed  RSS Feed