Skip to page content Skip to site navigation
Home :: Consumer Protection :: Consumer Protection Division
AG Chris Koster | FAQs
Missouri Attorney General

Frequently asked questions of the Consumer Protection Division

Table of Contents

What kinds of complaints does the Consumer Protection Division handle?

Missouri's consumer protection statutes prohibit deception, fraud and misrepresentation or concealment of material facts in the sale or advertisement of goods or services. These laws also authorize the attorney general to stop the promotion of pyramid sales schemes, prevent the altering of vehicle odometers and ensure that consumers' rights are protected under laws dealing with home solicitations.

[ back to top ]

How do I file a complaint with the Attorney General's office?

File a consumer complaint online

The Consumer Complaint Form is available for online submission. Simply complete the online form and click on the button titled "Submit Online Complaint Form."

File a consumer complaint by mail

The Consumer Complaint Form is available in pdf format or html format. If possible, please complete the PDF form by computer. If you don't fill it out by computer, type or hand-print clearly in dark ink. Incomplete or unclear forms will be returned. Be sure to enclose copies of important documents concerning your transaction such as contracts, invoices, warranties, brochures and canceled checks. Do not send originals.

You can fill out the PDF-formatted Consumer Complaint form while browsing the Web. However, you will not be able to save the completed form so remember to print extra copies for your files.

[ back to top ]

Is there a fee for filing a complaint?


[ back to top ]

What kind of information should I include with my complaint form if I'm sending it via regular mail?

Be sure to include copies of important documents concerning your transaction such as contracts, invoices, warranties, brochures and canceled checks. Do not send originals.

[ back to top ]

How long will it take to process my complaint?

Consumers can expect a response within 30 days. The investigator who reviews the complaint will contact the company and ask for a response. The company has 14 days to respond. Once the response is received, the investigator will determine the next step in the mediation/investigation process.

[ back to top ]

After filing my complaint, how can I contact your office to get an update?

You may obtain a status update on your complaint by calling or e-mailing the investigator assigned to the matter or by calling our Consumer Protection Hotline at 800-392-8222.

[ back to top ]

Will the company or person about whom I'm complaining get a copy of my complaint?

Yes. Part of the process of mediating complaints is to ask the business that is the subject of complaint for their side of the story. We do that by sending a copy of your complaint and asking the company or individual to respond.

[ back to top ]

As a business owner, what should I do when I receive a consumer complaint from the Attorney General's Office?

You should respond to the complaint within the time given in the letter from the Attorney General's Office. Include any documentation relating to the transaction, such as contracts, invoices, warranties, brochures and receipts. Do not send originals.

[ back to top ]

How does the mediation process work?

The Attorney General's Office returns millions of dollar each year to consumers without stepping foot in a courtroom through a process of informal mediation. Through mediating the dispute between the consumer and the company or individual, we often are able to resolve the problem and obtain refunds and restitution without the need for legal action.

[ back to top ]

When I call the Attorney General's Office to ask about a company, what information will I receive?

The Attorney General's Office will provide over the phone the number of complaints it has received against a particular company or individual.

[ back to top ]

When I file my complaint, may I still hire a private lawyer to pursue my case?

Yes. Because the Attorney General's Office brings enforcement actions on behalf of the state, not individual consumers, it cannot provide legal advice to you. If you want to preserve any private legal rights you might have, you may wish to contact a private attorney.

[ back to top ]

Will I have to testify in court?

If the Attorney General's Office files a civil lawsuit or criminal charges against a company or individual based in part on your complaint, you may have to testify in court about the transaction.

[ back to top ]

State homepage   |    Missouri statutes   |    Forms   |    Site Map   |    Accessibility   |    Privacy Policy   |    Contact Us  Follow AGO on Twitter!  RSS Feed  RSS Feed