Missourians considering donating money or goods to a charity need to know where their money is going and how it will be used.
Tips for donating:
- Make an annual plan for donating. Decide how much you'll give during the year and to which organizations.
- Consult the Attorney General's Check A Charity registry. 800 charities have listed their finances with us, for public viewing.
- Look for charities that spend at least 65 percent of their donations on program services - the cause they claim to serve. No more than 35 percent should go toward administrative costs such as payroll, overhead and fundraising.
- Only give when you are comfortable. Never give money under pressure or because of an emotional appeal from a solicitor.
- Never make a decision or give personal information on the phone when contacted by a solicitor. Instead, ask for information in writing.