Protecting the Health and Safety of All Missourians
The Agriculture and Environment Division works to protect and enhance agriculture and the quality of life for all Missourians. The attorneys of the division protect our food supply and the financial security of farmers by aggressively enforcing the state’s agricultural and food safety laws. The division enforces the state’s environmental laws, assuring that Missouri’s citizens are free from the impact of dangerous water pollution and air pollution and illegal hazardous waste.
Since 2008, Attorney General Koster has protected Missourians through aggressive legal action. The Attorney General’s actions have included:
- Recovered hundreds of thousands of dollars for Missouri farmers who were cheated by unscrupulous grain dealers.
- Removed over 14 tons of contaminated food from the market.
- Stopped foul odors and dangerous pollutants from the Bridgeton landfill fire.
- Recovered $1.7 million in the GM bankruptcy case to pay for cleanup atthe former Leeds Assembly Plant in Kansas City.
- Worked with the Department of Agriculture to rescue almost 7,000 dogs and cats from dangerous, substandard breeding operations.
- Imposed, in conjunction with the U.S. Department of Justice, a $7 million civil penalty and a $65 million cleanup against Doe Run Resources Company.
- Gotten over 250 judgments entered against those people who have polluted Missouri’s land, water and air.
- Enforced Missouri’s pipeline safety statutes by training hundreds of companies and fining dozens of companies that failed to follow those laws.
Learn more of what Attorney General Koster has done to protect Missouri’s environment and water.